Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cha Siu Bao - The Daring Baker Challenge July 2013

Well, this blog is supposed to be the boys' project for the summer but J lost interest fast. (Or he'd ask me to post for him!) So when I joined The Daring Kitchen last month I decided to use this blog. Here's my first completed challenge.

For July 2013 Daring Bakers challenge, we are allowed to choose from any of the past challenges. At J's urging, I made Cha Siu Bao, Chinese Barbeque Pork buns, a challenge  from December 2011. He was so persuasive I don't even remember what my original choice was. 

The buns are one of J's favorite at dim sum. He can eat a whole serving of 3 buns if we let him. Growing boys are expensive to raise. 

Anyway, they came out just OK. Next time I think I'll adjust the oven temperature down or reduce the baking time by 2-3 minutes or let the dough rise a little longer. Hindsight, hindsight ....

I skipped the red food coloring for the filling, made a red bean paste filling for myself, and used the leftover pork filling for chow-mien. Overall, time well spent!





Cha Sui Bao Barbeque Pork Bun
Cha Sui Bao Barbeque Pork Bun
Cha Sui Barbeque Pork

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Daring Bakers! You did a fantastic job on your first challenge! Your Cha Siu Bao look perfect!

    ReplyDelete